Veg*n Rejects
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Veg*n Rejects

Another testament of veg*n life.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Please bookmark www.vegrejects.net, which is the new home for this community. You will need to register an account. Molly and Adam will continue to run the site as administrators. See you over there!

Freeganism, good, bad, or indifferent?

Go down 
+2
adam antichrist
MollyMormon
6 posters
AuthorMessage
MollyMormon
Admin
MollyMormon

Freeganism, good, bad, or indifferent? Empty
PostSubject: Freeganism, good, bad, or indifferent?   Freeganism, good, bad, or indifferent? EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 6:18 am

I have been thinking lately about freeganism. Maybe the hubby and I should start doing our grocery shopping in the back of the store late at night after closing? I was even thinking of banding together with a friend but she is a flake. It is illegal but I think it's a misdemeanor. Supposedly they don't care anyway. We have a few good stores nearby.
Back to top Go down
https://vegrejects.forumotion.net
adam antichrist
Admin
adam antichrist

PostSubject: Re: Freeganism, good, bad, or indifferent?   Freeganism, good, bad, or indifferent? EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 6:57 am

yeah I like the idea. I don't like how people will call themselves vegan and then eat meat or dairy products that are ingredients in shit they dig up. WTF... you have to eat it because you found it? Feed it to a dog. But if they don't call themselves vegan then it's AoK with me.

I still haven't done it, but will eventually. Food is becoming so damn expensive. There is a grouip at uni called play with your food that puts on a free dumpster sourced feast on monday nights, but it's too late for me since I live so far away from campus.
Back to top Go down
http://veghealthnews.blogspot.com
MollyMormon
Admin
MollyMormon

PostSubject: Re: Freeganism, good, bad, or indifferent?   Freeganism, good, bad, or indifferent? EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 7:09 am

I have a few stores in mind that are very veg friendly. I also thought about the bread store. I know which breads are vegan there. I have a friend that I can give stuff to. The hubby isn't veg and I can feed stuff to my chickens too.. I just figure it's worth a shot. Tuesday nights would be the best because the new adds come out on Wednesday.
Back to top Go down
phact0rri
ate a dick
phact0rri

PostSubject: Re: Freeganism, good, bad, or indifferent?   Freeganism, good, bad, or indifferent? EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 12:58 pm

i need to start doing this too. I wonder how easy it is to do it where I am.... I should investigate.
Back to top Go down
kelbots
creep
kelbots

PostSubject: Re: Freeganism, good, bad, or indifferent?   Freeganism, good, bad, or indifferent? EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 8:13 pm

I'm pretty pro-freeganism, but like Adam, I am not okay with someone that eats meat/dairy/honey calling themselves vegan regardless of if the food cost them anything. I understand that they are not supporting the industry, but they are still ingesting it, you know?
Back to top Go down
adam antichrist
Admin
adam antichrist

PostSubject: Re: Freeganism, good, bad, or indifferent?   Freeganism, good, bad, or indifferent? EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 12:07 am

you know it girlfriend.

Across from the co-op where i work is the uni environment collective office. Earlier this year two of the kids from there were at one of our tables eating meat sandwiches and I was so disgusted. This girl is saying "they are freegan, they were going to throw them out after a convention downstairs".

SO FUCKEN WHAT. At the last cafe I worked at there was shitloads of meat byproducts and crap we threw out, you think I was going to bring home fish or chicken skins to make stock? I fed them to my cat.
Back to top Go down
Wyvern
twatface
Wyvern

PostSubject: Re: Freeganism, good, bad, or indifferent?   Freeganism, good, bad, or indifferent? EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 2:40 am

A good place to find non food items i think would be in the dumpster outside one of those self storage places. Some stores rent those units to keep extra inventory which they never sold, only to end up thorwing the stuff out. I was hired once by a manager to destroy all the old stuff to keep the flea market vendors from reselling it, But I guess I didn't do a good enough job because they took all the destroyed stuff to sell anyway.
Back to top Go down
phact0rri
ate a dick
phact0rri

PostSubject: Re: Freeganism, good, bad, or indifferent?   Freeganism, good, bad, or indifferent? EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 3:34 am

I grab up non food items across from my apartment. best part about living in an urban sprawl.
Back to top Go down
MollyMormon
Admin
MollyMormon

PostSubject: Re: Freeganism, good, bad, or indifferent?   Freeganism, good, bad, or indifferent? EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 5:21 am

Adam makes some good points about non vegan free food. This makes me wonder about other non vegan items that are free or second hand. There have been many conversations on this subject and the consensus is usually that second hand wool and leather and stuff is still vegan? I thought about this after I bought a pair of sketchers from the goodwill. (I am so cheap I even used a coupon). thoughts' feelings, anyone?
Back to top Go down
unhindered
twatface
unhindered

PostSubject: Re: Freeganism, good, bad, or indifferent?   Freeganism, good, bad, or indifferent? EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 5:27 am

My thoughts are that if you buy leather (or what-have-you) from a second hand store you're possibly taking it out of the hands of someone who will then go out and buy a new pair/purse/jacket. If it's being taken out of a dumpster it's less likely that someone else was going to get it, but technically still not vegan. I wouldn't call the firing squad though.
Back to top Go down
adam antichrist
Admin
adam antichrist

PostSubject: Re: Freeganism, good, bad, or indifferent?   Freeganism, good, bad, or indifferent? EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 8:37 am

Wyvern wrote:
A good place to find non food items i think would be in the dumpster outside one of those self storage places. Some stores rent those units to keep extra inventory which they never sold, only to end up thorwing the stuff out. I was hired once by a manager to destroy all the old stuff to keep the flea market vendors from reselling it, But I guess I didn't do a good enough job because they took all the destroyed stuff to sell anyway.

why did you destroy it when you could have sold it to the flea market vendors yourself?
Back to top Go down
Wyvern
twatface
Wyvern

PostSubject: Re: Freeganism, good, bad, or indifferent?   Freeganism, good, bad, or indifferent? EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 3:33 pm

"why did you destroy it when you could have sold it to the flea market vendors yourself?"

Cause I was a stupid teenager that didn't care that much about money and would rather destroy stuff because it was cool to do so.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Freeganism, good, bad, or indifferent?   Freeganism, good, bad, or indifferent? Empty

Back to top Go down

Freeganism, good, bad, or indifferent?
Page 1 of 1